Quarterfinals In Clear View For Team USA
It was no easy feat Monday night for team USA. With feisty opponent Colombia ready to take a win after the 2012 Olympics, it was an entertaining battle once the whistle blew. Both teams came out with their strengths at the forefront. US displayed a strong defensive game while Colombia utilized players that kept possession. Unfortunately, both teams went into halftime scoreless.
With their high level of fitness, USA continued to fight and create opportunities in front of the net. After Wambach missed a penalty kick at the start of the second half, in the 53rd minute, Alex Morgan received a great ball off a sequence of passes and scored lower near-post. Moments later, Megan Rapinoe was fowled in the box. Carli Lloyd stepped up for the P.K. and successfully tucked the ball away. After a solid performance by our Women’s National Team, they will advance to the quarterfinals with a 2-0 victory under their belt.
With their next match against China and having more speed, team USA can win the quarterfinals by displaying these strengths:
- Keeping possession in the midfield
- Splitting China’s defense with runs off the ball
- Setting up one on one opportunities for explosive forwards Alex Morgan, Christen Press & Sydney Leroux
- Finding dangerous players on direct/indirect kicks e.g. Abby Wambach in the air
- Shooting from distance & anticipating rebound opportunities
- Staying organized defensively
Watch USA vs. China – Friday, June 26th @ 7:30pm ET on FOX